Monday, June 06, 2005

Birthday blog

It was rad. I guess most everyone reading this was there and doesn't really need a re-cap, but certain readers in Boston and Bosnia may find this useful. And Sheryl.

Friday night, Tiago and I went to see this:
http://www.newyorker.com/critics/dancing/?031103crda_dancing

Then Saturday I woke up late and my brother called, proclaiming "You smell like a monkey, and you look like one, too". And you know what? He was right. Due to the previous night's post-modern dance activities, I wasn't exactly smelling like a peach. Also, I am a decendent of the monkey, so I do sorta resemble it. So, correct on both counts. Bravo, Morris.

Lunch was at Urth Caffe. My parents came and gave me a book about John Singer Sargent that I've wanted for like 8 years. The book came complete with an hour-long lecture from my dad about Sargent's life, his parents' lives, his shoe size, and his favorite shopping spots on Melrose Ave. He had been researching John Singer Sargent for about a month just to find the right book to get me (awwwwww). My mom said, "Tell the man to buy you a book, he writes a dissertation. Tell the man to fix the toilet, he writes a dissertation."

Dinner was at Malo on Sunset, followed by chocolate fondue at my house. Tita made the whole fondue and it was awesome. We had two pots of dark chocolate fondue, one with Frangelico mixed in, one straight. And we had a small pot of white chocolate fondue with a little nutmeg, which was a surprise hit with the foodies.

Around midnight my parents came over and my dad busted out the accordion. He played various klezmer and Romanian gypsy songs, and also one Britney Spears song, by request. That part was awesome.

Here's everything I got for my birthday (in chronological order):

2 tickets to the Eifman Ballet
Seduction and Spice cookbook that Anna and Dina found in a sex shop in New York, and for some reason thought of me
Giada De Laurentiis' "Everyday Italian" cookbook (source of the below-mentioned polenta)
SARGENT book by Carter Ratcliff
A ninja mandoline for slicing stuff
Office Speak by D.W. Martin (pants-peeingly funny)
Lonely Planet guide to food in Greece (also quite amusing)
Dagoba lavender chocolate bar
No Grapes For You mix of sad songs in celebration of Kahlen's loss on America's Next Top Model
Whoonu game from the makers of Cranium
O.C. Mixes 1-4, and Maria Taylor CD
Bouquet of flowers
3 mojitos
Free slice of tres leches cake from Malo
Pretty brown satin journal which smells like mint
More flowers
framed photo of Paula, me, and "the kids"

I think that covers it. I totally cleaned up this birthday. No complaints.

Next day was all about cleaning. Then it was all about dinner.

Dinner was:
Tri-tip steak a la Mike
Pao de queijo
Creamy polenta with gorganzola (slobber slobber)
Salad of arugala, radishes, fennel, and shallot/lemon dressing. The point of this salad was to use the new ninja mandoline. (and it was taaaaaasty)
Peas with leeks
For dessert I made a berry tarte cuz I had like 4 lbs of berries to use up. Only ended up using about half. Also, ice cream, port, and badly-planned chocolate sauce.

the end!

4 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

It's all a pack of vicious lies. And by the way, John Singer was never a Sargent. He was never even a Lieutenant.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must comment since you finally blogged. Yippee! Aah, the memory of the polenta . . . . Happy to have shared in your birthday weekend.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bit she left out: fondue was chosen instead of cake because you can't stick candles in a fondue.

I mean, you could, but then it would taste like hershey's.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just HAD to bust me out for not going to your party, huh? Just 'cuz I was on a lounge chair in vegas with a frosty drank in my hand celebrating my graduation does NOT mean you gotta tell on me making me sound like a bad friend!!!! :o) Thats ok, we'll do a birthday reprise on our own!

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home