How To Get Sloshed With Tiago
Ok, so it's not so hard to get Tiago sloshed. But it is buckets of fun.
Saturday morning we woke up early, and in the spirit of Cesar Chavez Day we planted planted tomatoes. After being knee-deep in dirt and poop for a few hours, we cleaned up and packed for a weekend in Santa Barbara.
We got there around 1:30pm and were starving so we stopped at a place on State Street called Andersen's. It was supposed to be Danish-themed. We were intrigued by a large sign boasting "REAL HOT CHOCOLATE!", and the place looked ok, so we went in. None of the usual warning signs were there - they had nice glasses, tablecloths, and good service. The food that ensued, however, was a disaster. Apparently "Danish" vaguely translates to "sweet pickled everything". I ordered a turkey breast sandwich. What I got was a croissant with sweet dill mayo spread, a layer of sweet pickles, a laaaaaaaaaarge pile of sweet pickled cabbage, and a few slices of turkey breast. My side salad was cheap shredded lettuce with - you guessed it - sweet fucking pickles. Tiago was a little more fortunate, since he ordered the open-faced crab salad sandwich. He sorta liked it. To bad the crab salad came in like the gayest looking ice-cream sundae glass! (topped with sweet pickles!) We didn't end up ordering the Real Hot Chocolate for fear that it, too, may have been sweet pickled in some way.
Anyway. After lunch we walked up and down State Street, where I scored an awesome demin skirt for $24. After we covered all of State Street we checked in to the Glenborough Inn. We got to our room and started making plans for dinner that night and wine-tasting the next day. Dinner was gonna be at Downey's, which got a 28 for food in the Zagat guide. We could only get a reservation for 9pm so we headed to the outdoor jacuzzi to kill some time. After the jacuzzi we went back to our room and then the camera panned over to the left and the next scene began at the restaurant.
The food. Was. Ridiculous. I think I started giggling when the waiter explained certain things on the menu because I was so frigging ecstatic. We ordered a bottle of a local Viognier. It was the first time either of us had tried Viognier and it was fantastic! And there was this bread - it was almost a nutty, crumbly cake. Soooo tasty.
We started with Mussels which had been steamed, then chilled and removed, then placed back on their shells atop a vinaigrette of fennel, bacon, and shallot. Holy God. It was INCREDIBLE.
Then I got grilled swordfish with mango salsa. The salsa was composed of mango, cucumber, red peppers, red onion, scallions, and a little vinegar. There was also a lemon-scented shortgrain rice and those three components - swordfsh, salsa, and lemon rice were really good together. Tiago got the grouper with the citrus-basil reduction. Mmmmmmmm....and that Viognier with the fish.....urhg ;asiuhgal kjrglzksdjfbkjxcn
And then we were drunk. No, actually, we were dru-zunk. We stumbled back to the Inn singing Damien Rice songs at the tops of our lungs, and when we got there we fell asleep wicked hard. I had this dream:
I was driving my car, and one of the warning lights went on. But it was not one of the usual lights, i.e. the low windshield wiper fluid light, or the engine oil light. Oh, no. This one said, "Inadequate Mercedes Warning". At the time I was really disturbed because I thought I'd have to get a new car. But when I woke up I realized how hilarious that is.
Day 2 in Santa Barbara turned out pretty interesting....To Be Continued....
Saturday morning we woke up early, and in the spirit of Cesar Chavez Day we planted planted tomatoes. After being knee-deep in dirt and poop for a few hours, we cleaned up and packed for a weekend in Santa Barbara.
We got there around 1:30pm and were starving so we stopped at a place on State Street called Andersen's. It was supposed to be Danish-themed. We were intrigued by a large sign boasting "REAL HOT CHOCOLATE!", and the place looked ok, so we went in. None of the usual warning signs were there - they had nice glasses, tablecloths, and good service. The food that ensued, however, was a disaster. Apparently "Danish" vaguely translates to "sweet pickled everything". I ordered a turkey breast sandwich. What I got was a croissant with sweet dill mayo spread, a layer of sweet pickles, a laaaaaaaaaarge pile of sweet pickled cabbage, and a few slices of turkey breast. My side salad was cheap shredded lettuce with - you guessed it - sweet fucking pickles. Tiago was a little more fortunate, since he ordered the open-faced crab salad sandwich. He sorta liked it. To bad the crab salad came in like the gayest looking ice-cream sundae glass! (topped with sweet pickles!) We didn't end up ordering the Real Hot Chocolate for fear that it, too, may have been sweet pickled in some way.
Anyway. After lunch we walked up and down State Street, where I scored an awesome demin skirt for $24. After we covered all of State Street we checked in to the Glenborough Inn. We got to our room and started making plans for dinner that night and wine-tasting the next day. Dinner was gonna be at Downey's, which got a 28 for food in the Zagat guide. We could only get a reservation for 9pm so we headed to the outdoor jacuzzi to kill some time. After the jacuzzi we went back to our room and then the camera panned over to the left and the next scene began at the restaurant.
The food. Was. Ridiculous. I think I started giggling when the waiter explained certain things on the menu because I was so frigging ecstatic. We ordered a bottle of a local Viognier. It was the first time either of us had tried Viognier and it was fantastic! And there was this bread - it was almost a nutty, crumbly cake. Soooo tasty.
We started with Mussels which had been steamed, then chilled and removed, then placed back on their shells atop a vinaigrette of fennel, bacon, and shallot. Holy God. It was INCREDIBLE.
Then I got grilled swordfish with mango salsa. The salsa was composed of mango, cucumber, red peppers, red onion, scallions, and a little vinegar. There was also a lemon-scented shortgrain rice and those three components - swordfsh, salsa, and lemon rice were really good together. Tiago got the grouper with the citrus-basil reduction. Mmmmmmmm....and that Viognier with the fish.....urhg ;asiuhgal kjrglzksdjfbkjxcn
And then we were drunk. No, actually, we were dru-zunk. We stumbled back to the Inn singing Damien Rice songs at the tops of our lungs, and when we got there we fell asleep wicked hard. I had this dream:
I was driving my car, and one of the warning lights went on. But it was not one of the usual lights, i.e. the low windshield wiper fluid light, or the engine oil light. Oh, no. This one said, "Inadequate Mercedes Warning". At the time I was really disturbed because I thought I'd have to get a new car. But when I woke up I realized how hilarious that is.
Day 2 in Santa Barbara turned out pretty interesting....To Be Continued....

2 Comments:
You totally had me until you said "dru-zunk" when you obviously should have said "crunktified" or "crunky" like homegirl Tana. And I was on the edge of my seat with the Danish place waiting to find out how the hot chocolate was and you DIDN'T GET IT? What if that was the one thing they could do right? It could have been analagous to the root beer floats at Denny's. Oh, and thanks for the link. That should double my readership to... like, 0.8 people.
Thank you for allowing me to vicariously travel, taste and experience.
javascript:void(0);
Post a Comment
<< Home