Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Strange interviews at large companies / Large interviews at strange companies?

It was a weird interview. I got the call the night before that they wanted me to come in. Wearing a suit. So instead of making soup for my ailing friend, I spent the evening schlepping around stores in search of a suit. I got two. One at Target and one at H&M. The H&M suit turned out to be the winner, so I took it to the tailor the next morning for rush alterations. Total cost of suit plus alterations = $145.

I got to Santa Monica really early, and I realized that I forgot to put on mascara before I left the house. I went to Savon, bought mascara ($6), and sat in my car for a while, reading Knock 'Em Dead - the Ultimate Job Seeker's' Guide ($24.99).

I arrived at the interview and was told to fill out a form - the same form I've filled out a million times on their awful website. Why couldn't they just print it out? Oh yeah - because nobody ever reads online job submissions.

Finally I went in to talk to the head of the department and two other people, whose positions are still not clear to me. The dept. head told me about the company and what the job entails. Then she asked me two questions: Do you have experience reading contracts, and do you have experience dealing with attorneys. That was it. Then she asked me if I have any questions. It was about ten minutes into the interview. I wasn't about to have spent $145 and four hours of my life on a suit, plus one hour of driving, plus all the other incidental interview costs on a ten minute fluff interview, so I launched into my arsenal of questions I had reserved from touring business schools. The dept. head was answering my questions for the next 40 minutes. Finally, when we were all questioned out, they politely shooed me out the door, saying that they have "lots of other people to interview".

All in all, I couldn't figure out why they bothered interviewing me at all. They were so disinterested from the get-go. Maybe they have someone else lined up to take the job, and were just interviewing others as a formality. Because that's what it felt like - a formality.

Anyway, the better news today is that I got the job I really wanted at a great indie label. I start Monday. Woot!

3 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

When she told you your math class would "come in handy" you should have said, "yeah, it'll come in handy in calculating the antiderivative of the cosine of how you people SCREWED ME."

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job!! I am sure that you will find other uses for that suit and mascara!!

And thanks so much to you, and all the other "kids", for being willing to spend time with me. I had a great evening!!

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Rossanna that's great news very happy for you!!!! write us all about it:)

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home