How not to write
Here's an essay I didn't end up using for my Berkeley Haas application. The question was about my favorite quote and why.
In seventh grade I wrote a report on David Farragut, the American Civil War naval leader who was famous for the battle cry, “Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!” At the time, writing the report bored me to tears. But over the years David Farragut has made a home for himself somewhere in the back of my head, and I’ve inadvertently adopted him as my personal mascot. I’ve come depend on his relentless optimism at times when I’ve faced challenges not unlike commanding a naval fleet in the face of enemy fire:
About to graduate college and need more work experience before landing a job in the music industry? “Damn the torpedoes! Start your own indie record label!”
Can’t get through to the music supervisor of the big HBO show? “Damn the torpedoes! Schmooze his assistant!”
Stuck on the 405 freeway and late for a dentist appointment? “Damn the torpedoes! Take a side-street!”
Having the voice of David Farragut as my own special cheerleader ensures that I don’t take minor obstacles too seriously. Sometimes it’s easy to lose sight of a final goal when there are many small impediments along the way. Even though his fleet faced a difficult entry into Mobile Bay near Alabama, which involved a narrow entryway lined with torpedoes, Farragut knew what was at stake – disruption of the Confederate economy, and successful Union blockage of Southern ports. His bravery helped lead the Union to victory, and it helps me have little victories of my own each day.
In seventh grade I wrote a report on David Farragut, the American Civil War naval leader who was famous for the battle cry, “Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!” At the time, writing the report bored me to tears. But over the years David Farragut has made a home for himself somewhere in the back of my head, and I’ve inadvertently adopted him as my personal mascot. I’ve come depend on his relentless optimism at times when I’ve faced challenges not unlike commanding a naval fleet in the face of enemy fire:
About to graduate college and need more work experience before landing a job in the music industry? “Damn the torpedoes! Start your own indie record label!”
Can’t get through to the music supervisor of the big HBO show? “Damn the torpedoes! Schmooze his assistant!”
Stuck on the 405 freeway and late for a dentist appointment? “Damn the torpedoes! Take a side-street!”
Having the voice of David Farragut as my own special cheerleader ensures that I don’t take minor obstacles too seriously. Sometimes it’s easy to lose sight of a final goal when there are many small impediments along the way. Even though his fleet faced a difficult entry into Mobile Bay near Alabama, which involved a narrow entryway lined with torpedoes, Farragut knew what was at stake – disruption of the Confederate economy, and successful Union blockage of Southern ports. His bravery helped lead the Union to victory, and it helps me have little victories of my own each day.

3 Comments:
I can't believe you didn't use this essay!!! Your other quote better have been amazing. I think I need to take this on as my mantra too. Damn the torpedos!!!
-em
But see... for it really to have worked with your examples, Farragut would have had to say "Damn the torpedoes, let's hop out of the ship and figure out another way to beat them without getting blown up."
Conversely, with the actual quote, your examples would have had to be like "Stuck on the 405? Damn the torpedoes! Jump the median and drive north on the south!" "Can't get through to the music supervisor? Damn the torpedoes! Threaten his firstborn child until he talks to you!"
And so forth.
Or as Rich would say, "Damn the torpedoes! Go get me another beer!"
Post a Comment
<< Home