Thursday, February 10, 2005

New Binge

Ya know on the old Roadrunner cartoons when the coyote gets hit with an anvil? That's how I feel about this song I bought on iTunes last night. It's a version of "I Won't Back Down" performed by Tom Petty and Johnny Cash. I never had a full-on Johnny Cash binge, but every time I hear something he's done, the anvil falls on my head.

And I never realized how much I like Tom Petty. There are certainly songs of his that I don't like, or am actually repulsed by. But once in a while he'll get me. Like last night when his song "Walls" was running over the end credits of some movie on TV. BAM! ANVIL! That was what initially sent me crawling through iTunes, but I never found it. I found "I Won't Back Down" instead.

"I Won't Back Down" is a great song to begin with, and Johnny Cash's delivery is cool because it's a song about sticking to your guns but his vocal style is very calm and laid back. I picture him singing from an armchair. You've just had an argument with him and you're very agitated. In fact, you're getting a little violent. You've just thrown a prized possession of his through window and you're waiting for him react. But he's just sitting there. The depth and tone and firmness in his voice is enough to put you back in your place, without him ever having to leave that chair.

There's something in that quiet firmness.....something I want to keep in my head for a while because I've been getting so trampled lately. Good stuff, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home