Friday, December 22, 2006

Wrongest Longest Day

Every time I book a December trip to Brazil, there´s one thing I look forward to instantly: having a second chance at the longest day of the year in a different hemisphere.

In June, I spent the longest day of the year sadly collecting boxes and watching M & P pack up the compound. I think Tiago was in Poland and I spent the evening alone, not desperately squeezing all the juice out of the final minutes of daytime, as per norm. I was grateful for a second chance.

Well, this is what we did for our second chance. We got up early and drove to Sao Paulo to return the rental car. M had a nasty stomach ache. We stopped at the the lovely Santa Barbara organic farm and had acai with granola, before moving on to face Sao Paulo traffic. And face it we did.

We were in the freaking car for HOURS, trying to make it around the Marginal to the Bienal exhibition in Ipiranga Park. The Bienal is the most important contemporary art event in Latin America, and happens every other year.

We got there. It had closed the previous SUnday.

There was another museum in the park.

We got there. It was closed due to some TV show filming there.

There was another museum in the park. Finally, we got a taste of contemporary Brazilian art, albeit a tiny taste, since we had to rush off to sit in more traffic to get to our favorite churrascaria.

We got there. It had changed ownership or something, and was a total disappointment. P had a nasty stomach ache.

Finally, we headed to the airport to drop off the car. P and I went into the gift shop where I found a hilarious frowny-sad little Kero-kero Keroppi stamp. I bought it for 2 reis, and stamped everyone on their right knee. We became the gang known as the Longest Day Brigade.

I mean, what better way to spend the last few minutes of second-chance daylight than in an airport?

Tiago´s dad picked us up and we started the 2-hour drive back to Caraguatatuba. He attacked the road with near-hostile speed and imposing precision. I became exhausted from following the action and fell asleep, only to wake up with a handful of P's hair in my mouth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home