So here's what I (stupidly) did:
First, I booked a long elaborate trip to Bulgaria and Greece. Since the Bulgaria portion would be with SuperDevoiche, the hot Balkan girl-band from UCLA, most of the trip was planned for me and I didn't feel like I needed to do much research. So I focused on Greece.
I read aaaalll about Greece, the food, the museums, the food, the beaches, and also the food.
Then I started feeling like I should at least brush up on my Bulgarian history, so at the recommendation of a certain sexy Brazilian, I picked up this gem: http://tinyurl.com/ch8lo
About 60 pages into this book, I lost all faith in humanity. I dissolved into a guilty, miserable malaise regarding the cruel and violent nature of mankind and horrible suffering in the world; a malaise akin to that of the lovely blonde model in this film: http://tinyurl.com/b4m58
About two days and many theraputic conversations with friends later, I am now back on the road to being excited for Greek food.
Today I went to the Larchmont Deli to order my beloved Greek salad for lunch. I asked the (Greek) owner of the joint how to order the salad in Greek, and his wife came over and we started chatting about my upcoming trip. I told her the itinerary: Athens, Delphi, Nafpilo ("Too far," she said. "But beautiful. Go next time."), then down to the Aegean islands - Crete and Santorini.
"Santorini??" she gasped. "On Santorini, you will feel like you're on the edge of the earth. When I went there, I felt that I was closer to God. I felt like I could just reach up and touch him."
Right, I thought. But how was the FOOD???
First, I booked a long elaborate trip to Bulgaria and Greece. Since the Bulgaria portion would be with SuperDevoiche, the hot Balkan girl-band from UCLA, most of the trip was planned for me and I didn't feel like I needed to do much research. So I focused on Greece.
I read aaaalll about Greece, the food, the museums, the food, the beaches, and also the food.
Then I started feeling like I should at least brush up on my Bulgarian history, so at the recommendation of a certain sexy Brazilian, I picked up this gem: http://tinyurl.com/ch8lo
About 60 pages into this book, I lost all faith in humanity. I dissolved into a guilty, miserable malaise regarding the cruel and violent nature of mankind and horrible suffering in the world; a malaise akin to that of the lovely blonde model in this film: http://tinyurl.com/b4m58
About two days and many theraputic conversations with friends later, I am now back on the road to being excited for Greek food.
Today I went to the Larchmont Deli to order my beloved Greek salad for lunch. I asked the (Greek) owner of the joint how to order the salad in Greek, and his wife came over and we started chatting about my upcoming trip. I told her the itinerary: Athens, Delphi, Nafpilo ("Too far," she said. "But beautiful. Go next time."), then down to the Aegean islands - Crete and Santorini.
"Santorini??" she gasped. "On Santorini, you will feel like you're on the edge of the earth. When I went there, I felt that I was closer to God. I felt like I could just reach up and touch him."
Right, I thought. But how was the FOOD???

2 Comments:
Hold on a second, you read the Bulgarian history book at the recommendation of a sexy Brazilian?
I *told* you to quit taking book advice from Pele!
Shit.
The food in Santorini is good.
But, i promise you...it will be the last thing on your mind.
And nafplio is only a few hours by car from athens... ;)
(granted you are in transit, so this post will be for nothing) -- i want a full report of your fooding when you get back!
---s
Post a Comment
<< Home